Total CE Credit Hours: 15
Course Info URL: https://www.ce-credit.com/courses/103016
About the Course:
Every day ten thousand baby boomers turn 65, and by 2030 more than 20% of US residents will be 65 or older. Mental health professionals must become familiar with the unique needs of this growing population. Using the APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Older Adults and the Pikes Peak Model for Training in Professional Geropsychology, this book shows mental health providers how to expand their practice in order to treat older adults. Chapters describe tools and techniques for assessing and treating common conditions that practitioners encounter when working with older adults, including depression, anxiety, cognitive impairment, and prescription drug misuse. Clinical case examples demonstrate how to deliver interventions while avoiding common interactional pitfalls. Includes expert recommendations for assessment tools, additional readings, and online resources.
This course is based on the book, Assessment and Treatment of Older Adults created by Gregory A. Hinrichsen, Ph.D., ABPP in 2019.
Publication Date:1st Edition Aug 2019
Course Material Author
Counselors, marriage and family therapists, psychologists and social workers. This course is appropriate for all levels of knowledge.
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Recognize stereotypes and myths regarding older adults and how they can influence care provision.
- Describe the lifespan developmental perspective and cite examples of the biological, mental, emotional, personality, and social changes associated with aging.
- Summarize the ways in which an assessment with an older adult may need to differ from an assessment with a younger adult.
- List common life problems often a focus of psychotherapeutic treatment with older adults and effective treatment approaches with this population.
- Describe how depression and anxiety manifest in older adults and compare assessment instruments available to help diagnose each condition.
- Summarize the symptoms of the four major causes of dementia, list assessment instruments available to screen for cognitive impairment, and identify possible treatment targets for individuals with dementia or their caregivers.
- Summarize the prevalence of, factors associated with, consequences of, assessment instruments available to screen, and treatment prognosis for older adults with alcohol and substance abuse, including prescription drug misuse.
All exam questions for the course are visible on this page for members of CE-Credit.com.
If you're already a member, please sign in to see the exam questions for this and all other courses.
Is this course approved for my continuing education requirements?
Yes, most likely. Look Up Your State Board for more detailed information. Logged-in site members will see the relevant approval information displayed in the Approvals tab for every course.
Do you have accommodations for my disability (ADA)?
If you are having trouble using CE-Credit.com, please contact us! We would be happy to accommodate your needs right away, and your input will help us make CE-Credit.com more accessible for future users too.
How do I enroll in this course?
Use the Enroll In This Course button and just follow the instructions! You don't pay anything until you're ready to take an exam.
What do I have to do to complete the course?
To complete the course, review the course objectives, then review the material, and then pass the exam with a score of 75% or greater and lastly complete an evaluation.
How do I access the materials?
Most of our courses are based on online articles available for free to the public. Some courses, such as those based on books, require that you purchase the material. Use the Materials tab above for more info. You don't need to enroll in the course to access materials, whether free or paid. So you always know what you're getting into before you commit to taking the exam.
How do I get my certificate?
Your certificate(s) will be available to download or email immediately when you pass the course exam and complete the evaluation.
Can I contact you for more help?
Yes! Use the Help widget at the bottom-right of the screen anywhere on CE-Credit.com to search our help docs, or to ask our support team for help. Unlike most of our competitors, CE-Credit.com has live US-based support reps to help you by email, chat, or phone.