Total CE Credit Hours: 12
Course Info URL: https://www.ce-credit.com/courses/102937
About the Course:
**Please note that some of the laws mentioned in this book have changed
since its publication.**
Counseling Transgender and Non-Binary Youth: The Essential Guide provides an excellent resource for counselors and clinicians who will working with transgender and non-binary youth. Using the advice in this book, clinicians will gain a working knowledge of the issues that transgender youth face, the process they often follow in exploring their gender identity, the social and medical steps that are typically associated with a gender transition, the needs they may face in school and in their community, and the approach(es) to therapy which have proven to be successful in the author’s extensive work with transgender and non-binary youth. For the purpose of this exam, please refer to the text in the book to find the answers. To the best of our ability, we have not included questions where we know that legislation has changed. When counseling transgender and non-binary youth in your practice, please stay up to date on current legislation regarding treatment, advocacy, and the current issues trans youth may be facing.
This course is based on the book, Counseling Transgender and Non-Binary Youth: The Essential Guide created by Irwin Krieger, LCSW in 2017.
Course Material Author
Counselors, marriage and family therapists, psychologists and social workers. This course is appropriate for all levels of knowledge.
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss some of the social and legal changes that have occurred for LGBTQ youth since 2004, and explain the importance of authenticity and safety for youth as they ascertain and disclose their transgender or non-binary identity.
- List some of the terms used in reference to people who identify as transgender or non-binary.
- Recognize and give examples of the risks that exist for transgender youth, including societal, familial, and mental health risks.
- Outline a plan and a timeline to evaluate the gender identity and address any mental health concerns for a youth who is contemplating their gender identity.
- Identify the mental health concerns that are commonly present for transgender youth.
- List the steps that a transgender or non-binary youth might take to accomplish a social and/or medical transition, the order in which these steps might occur, and the benefits and risks associated with each step.
- Describe the importance of family therapy for transgender youth and their parents, develop a plan and timeline for counseling families, and summarize the steps that may be required to advocate for transgender youth in schools.
All exam questions for the course are visible on this page for members of CE-Credit.com.
If you're already a member, please sign in to see the exam questions for this and all other courses.
Is this course approved for my continuing education requirements?
Yes, most likely. Look Up Your State Board for more detailed information. Logged-in site members will see the relevant approval information displayed in the Approvals tab for every course.
Do you have accommodations for my disability (ADA)?
If you are having trouble using CE-Credit.com, please contact us! We would be happy to accommodate your needs right away, and your input will help us make CE-Credit.com more accessible for future users too.
How do I enroll in this course?
Use the Enroll In This Course button and just follow the instructions! You don't pay anything until you're ready to take an exam.
What do I have to do to complete the course?
To complete the course, review the course objectives, then review the material, and then pass the exam with a score of 75% or greater and lastly complete an evaluation.
How do I access the materials?
Most of our courses are based on online articles available for free to the public. Some courses, such as those based on books, require that you purchase the material. Use the Materials tab above for more info. You don't need to enroll in the course to access materials, whether free or paid. So you always know what you're getting into before you commit to taking the exam.
How do I get my certificate?
Your certificate(s) will be available to download or email immediately when you pass the course exam and complete the evaluation.
Can I contact you for more help?
Yes! Use the Help widget at the bottom-right of the screen anywhere on CE-Credit.com to search our help docs, or to ask our support team for help. Unlike most of our competitors, CE-Credit.com has live US-based support reps to help you by email, chat, or phone.