- Washington Addiction Counselors
14 hours must be in one or more topics (a-w) See details at: http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/Professions/ChemicalDep/education.htm
4 must be in professional ethics or law. Ten (10) may be in areas relating to various phases of one’s professional career.
28 of the 40 hours must be continuing education. The additional 12 may be continuing education or “professional development activities”.
6 credit hours must be in suicide assessment, treatment, and management
(1)(A) Each of the following professionals certified or licensed under Title 18 RCW shall, at least once every six years, complete training in suicide assessment, treatment, and management that is approved, in rule, by the relevant disciplining authority.
c) The training required by this subsection must be at least six hours in length, unless a disciplinary authority has determined, under subsection (8)(b) of this section, that training that includes only screening and referral elements is appropriate for the profession in question, in which case the training must be at least three hours in length.
Our courses not allowed for initial certification hours
CE-Credit.com is a service of CE Learning Systems LLC. CE Learning Systems is approved to offer continuing educations courses by NAADAC (#410) and many ICRC certification boards. CE Learning Systems LLC maintains responsibility for the courses.
Our companion site, www.addictioncounselorce.com, is specifically focused on the CE needs of addiction counselors and offers a greater quantity and variety of substance abuse-specific courses.
Board Contact Info
Washington State Department of Health (AODA Counselors)
111 Israel Rd. S.E.
Tumwater, WA 98501
Fax number: 360-236-4818
CDP renewal-Ethics and Law requirement, 4 credit hours
CE-Credit.com offers 13 courses for this requirement.102359: National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics 2017, 1.25 credit hour
- 102974: APA Ethics Code: With the 2016 Amendments to Standard 3.04, 2 credit hours
- 102935: Ethics and underserved populations, 1.75 credit hour
- View All 13 Courses
CDP renewal-14 hours in topic areas, 14 credit hours
At least 14 hours must be done in one or more of the following topic areas. For each topic area AddictionCounselorCE has courses that address the area. These can be found here: http://www.addictioncounselorce.com/courses. You may browse our Course Categories or do a keyword search.
• Understanding addiction;
• Pharmacological actions of alcohol and other drugs;
• Substance abuse and addiction treatment methods;
• Understanding addiction placement, continuing care, and discharge criteria, including American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria;
• Cultural diversity including people with disabilities and its implication for treatment;
• Chemical dependency clinical evaluation (screening and referral to include comorbidity);
• HIV/AIDS brief risk intervention for the chemically dependent;
• Chemical dependency treatment planning;
• Referral and use of community resources;
• Service coordination (implementing the treatment plan, consulting, continuing assessment and treatment planning);
• Individual counseling;
• Group counseling;
• Chemical dependency counseling for families, couples and significant others;
• Developmental psychology;
• Psychopathology/abnormal psychology;
• Documentation, to include, screening, intake, assessment, treatment plan, clinical reports, clinical progress notes, discharge summaries, and other client related data;
• Chemical dependency confidentiality;
• Professional and ethical responsibilities;
• Relapse prevention;
• Adolescent chemical dependency assessment and treatment;
• Chemical dependency case management; and
• Chemical dependency rules and regulations.
Ethics and Technology
Ethics — 2 credit hours
Medical (Behavioral Healthcare Practice) Errors
Errors, Boundaries, Patient Safety — 4 credit hours
ACA Code of Ethics: American Counseling Association
Ethics — 2.25 credit hours
Florida Statutes and Rules Affecting the Practice of Psychology
Laws, Regulations, Legal — 2 credit hours
Drug, Brains, and Behavior: The science of Addiction
Addictions, Substance Use — 1 credit hour
Ethics — 3.5 credit hours
Ethnicity, Values, and Value Conflicts of African American and White Social Service Professionals
Cultural & Racial Diversity — 1 credit hour
Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Older Adults
Aging, Long Term Care — 3 credit hours
Drug Addiction: From Neuroscience to Ethics
Ethics — 1 credit hour
EMCDDA INSIGHTS Models of Addiction
Addictions, Substance Use — 3 credit hours
Live Webinars with Prominent Experts
CE Learning Systems also offers live webinars for addiction counselors in our new Make An Impact webinar series. Offered through our sister site, CE-Go.com, this series features some of the most well-known speakers in behavioral health today. Recent sessions include:
- Clinical Practice in the Age of Technology – Pamela Harmell, PhD
- Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter, Oh My! Helping Clients Heal Through Stories – Janina Scarlet, PhD
- Helping Clients Maintain Mental Health and Addictions Recovery Through the Storm: Catastrophes and Pandemics – Mark Sanders, LCSW, CADC
- COVID-19 Anxiety and Fear: Meeting the Challenges of a Growing Mental Health Pandemic Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – John P. Forsyth, PhD
- ...and many more to come!
This was the best presentation I've seen in a very long time. The material was relevant and interesting, and was presented in a manner that made it feel immediately applicable to my work with clients. Loved it. Can't wait to buy the book! – SC, New York
CE-Credit.com Unlimited Distance CE members get 20% off all live webinars.